I have always been crafty, but only when I follow a pattern. I can take someone else's ideas and recreate them, but I have never been much for creating my own. However, I have many ideas flowing through my head. I'm just having difficulty giving birth to them and sending them out into the world. I've tried, but my creations never match the true brilliance of my ideas. As a result, I become discouraged and give up.
However, something is different this time. The reclusive creativity goddess inside me is not relenting. She is driving me to expand my horizons and keep trying. So far, she has just driven me to buy lots of books and all the cool stuff used in the books. I joke that I don't really want to be creative, I just want to buy all the cool stuff I think it takes to be creative!
I've dabbled some, and while my creations may have turned out okay and sometimes even clever, they're not very artistic. And then through an on-line journaling class, I found Alpha Stamps which lead me to Sara Whitmire's blog. It was there that I found Soul Journaling. It took me by the hand and started to guide me down the artistic path. It uses some of the ideas I've seen in the books and takes tiny steps to help introduce me to them. Maybe it's because Sarah gives you a purpose for each prompt and technique that it makes it easier to get started. You're not just given a technique and left to your own devices to try and figure out what is going to make it on the page.
Soul Journaling has unclogged my creative faucet. It has given me the desire to keep trying and exploring. To take all those ideas dancing around in my head and actually attempt to get them on to the page. And if it doesn't come out the way I want the first time, then I'll try it again with a different technique until I find my OWN creative style. Not sure how long that will take, but the journey has officially begun.
If you haven't checked out Sarah's blog, I highly recommend you do.
http://sarahwhitmire.blogspot.com/2008/07/s-journaling.html
12 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment