When I signed up for the mail art project, I received a random page from an old photo book ... the challenge was to create a work of art that either uses or was inspired by the page. At first, I thought the page I received was completely uninspiring ... I put it aside and ignored it for a long time as I worked on my sketchbook and other projects. Eventually, the ideas started coming together. However, I had put the page aside for so long that I forgot it was a mail art project! I had one idea in my head then had to revise it when I re-read the project material!
Part of the story on the page was about Erich Salomon and how he had to convince political leaders in 1928 to allow him to photograph their meetings. They were afraid the cameras of the day would be too intrusive and the flash bulbs too smoky. Salomon convinced them by taking photos while they were unaware with his Photo-Jumelle camera. They were amazed when they saw the photos. They had no idea he was even taking the pictures. After that, Salomon went on to photograph many important political leaders of the day.
My piece may not look like much from the outside. The top and bottom of the box were covered with antique bronze painted foil. The middle was covered with darkened wood-grained scrapbooking paper. The lens is a tape transfer painted from behind with more antique bronze paint. A few embellishments were added.
But the best part is that the 'camera' is interactive! When you press the button on the top and look in the view finder, the inside is illuminated and you're able to see the picture from the page I received. Too bad I can't capture that with my camera!
The fun part about this project is that the pieces will be part of an exhibit to be held at the Bodytribe in Sacramento in March, 2010 ... well .. that's if my piece is deemed to have artistic merit! Guess I'm going to find out if anyone else thinks I'm an artist or not. I won't take it personally if they don't. I'll be disappointed because I put a lot of work into my project, but this is the first time I've ever submitted anything like this, so I'll be very excited if it is included.
Check back for both mailing and judging updates!






That is a mind-blowing contraption. You are so creative!!!! It looks just amazing at it is, but I bet seeing it do 'thing's in real life must be wonderful. Great piece.
ReplyDeleteThis is amaaazing!!! I wish I could see it in person. The amount of work you put into this piece I'm sure it will be accepted into the show! Fran you are so creative!
ReplyDeletexoxox
I love this. I am always drawn to old cameras and this is absolutely beautiful. I wish I could see the real thing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
This is so cool! I wish I could see it in person!! Will you get it back? Where is it being displayed or is it a swap??
ReplyDeleteWell now--how cool is this? I just found your blog, and I am your newest follower--I love it!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. The first thing that caught my eye was your blog name--I like the reason for it :)
I'm in your sketchbook group too Fran and this is too cool! Let us know how it turns out.
ReplyDeleteCheryl