I just know there is a reclusive, artistic goddess living somewhere inside me .... these are my attempts to try and coax her out.

Monday, May 3, 2010

My Zen Garden

This is a page I created for our Sketchbook Group Journal Round Robin.  Theme .. My Zen Garden.  Just goes to show that no two Zen Gardens look the same ... we're all seeking our own Zen.  I wrote the text while on one of my daily walks with my pup through my Zen garden.



This is my Zen Garden ..

Where bamboo has been replaced by towering pines
Where the silence is broken not by chimes,
but by the songs of birds playing in the trees
occasionally jumping off to hang on the breeze
as it caresses the forest

It is here that the sand is raked by the treads of boots
belonging to hikers who have gone before me
punctuated by the footprints of animals
who so graciously share their home.

Here the alligator juniper serves as nature’s garden statue.
Their long, sprawling branches creating interesting shapes and angles
framing the beauty that lies just beyond.
Their rough patterned bark
complimenting the red, waxy bark of the nearby Manzanita.

Mystery is provided by the dark canyon,
tangled with the downed trees that succumbed
to the weight of last winter’s snow,
beckoning me to explore its depths each time I pass.

This is where I come to marvel at the calm beauty,
to see that which I missed each time before,
to re-group,
to quiet my thoughts or silence them altogether,
to simply appreciate all that surrounds me.

This is my Zen Garden.

6 comments:

  1. Did you write this or know who did? I love it and your page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I love how you sewed this on. Great page. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful writing Fran! I love your page!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I read the poem when I received the book. Had no idea that you wrote it!! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Fran! Your poem is beautiful! I feel like I'm there. Sox is gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran, I loved your pages - the poem, Wow!! Nice work, beautiful expression.

    ReplyDelete