I just know there is a reclusive, artistic goddess living somewhere inside me .... these are my attempts to try and coax her out.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Damaged Goods - Collecting Objects 3


Finally ... my piece for the Art House Co-op/Brooklyn Art Library Collecting Objects 3 project is on it's way!  It was fun seeing it come to life.  I've heard other artist say that you just have to start and the piece will tell you what it whats to be .. and that held true in this case.

I'd like to give special thanks to my sister, Karen, and nice, Melissa, for their unflinching assistance scouring old trash-heaps.  Melissa had quite a knack for finding the good stuff!  The piece is entitled "Damaged Goods"  

The piece started with an old rusted spring and can.  


I did play around with adding the wish bone pictured in the bottom, right-hand corner of this picture .. but it remained on the table.

I picked up the broken mirror from the side of a trail I hike every day then nested it in another rusted can to make her mirror.  I had passed the broken mirror on the trail for several weeks before I thought about using it. I was thrilled to see the forest kept it safe until I needed it. 

The "bouquet" on the left side contains a Co2 cylinder filled with a pull tab, Chuck-e-cheese token, shoe lace eyelets, a dog toy squeaker, a bone and a spring.   


I found the burned doll head on top of a trash heap in a local cemetery.  I'm sure someone took great care to place it on someone's grave.  I didn't think she deserved to be in the trash. 

Her 'fur' wrap is an old pet toy. 

She is gazing at her reflection with her ruby red lips ...Unaware she is as damaged as she is.  

The medallion at the top was made from a piece of bone.  The green glass at the top of the mirror frame are pieces of a shattered windshield painted on the back with Golden interference paint.

It was difficult to put her in the mail and send her off .. can't wait to see some of the other pieces in the exhibit.  

7 comments:

  1. Love how you can make beauty from discarded and forgotten items--well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How completely fantastic! What a great job. It's really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen! And all made from trash/discarded items. You did a fabulous job, I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, this is amazing. I love how you let the things speak for themselves. But most of all I love that you found these things in the first place. I've always been astounded at the things I see by the side of the road... I think we all should take more time to rescue them.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran! Very impressive work! wow! what a great piece you've created!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete