I just know there is a reclusive, artistic goddess living somewhere inside me .... these are my attempts to try and coax her out.

Monday, May 21, 2012

I am an award-winning artist!!

Well .. I have definitely been a reclusive blogger lately!  I have been very busy doing everything but updating my blog!!  However, now I actually have something to write home about.  I got up the nerve to enter a few pieces into my first juried art show.  I live in a very small town, but there are many accomplished artists who also live here!  Not only were two of my pieces selected to be included in the show, but one of them won first prize in the 3-D category! 


And the winner is ... Desperado

I have always belived that a piece will tell you what it wants to be .. you just have to be patient and willing to listen. 

A friend had given me the idea for the Jailbird Heart.  I created it using plaster wrap over wire, not sure exactly what I would do with it.  Turns out I just moved it around on my desk for a few weeks. Then I started making the larger wire heart shape for a completely different project.  As I was putting it together, I realized it would be perfect for my jailbird!

I suspended the heart using chains on a board I had also been moving around on my desk for MONTHS!  I had created the board while practicing some techinques I learned in Stephanie Lee/Judy Wise's Plaster Studio Workshop class (which I highly recommend!) 

The piece had come together nicely, but I still wasn't sure what I wanted to say.

I was out hiking my usual trail one evening when I heard a song blaring from a near-by cabin.  It was the Eagle classic, Desperado.  I had always loved the line, "Your prison is walking through this world all alone."  That was the only song the cabin-dweller shared with those of us in the forest that day .. and there it was .. what I wanted to say.  

I didn't want the words to take over the piece or knock the viewer over the head.  I printed them on dress making tissue to help them blend in.  You actually notice the Frey/Henley credit under the key first .. and then you seek out the words.  It's like a little secret .. a hidden gem.

Anyway .. it won First Prize at my little local art show .. which officially makes me an 'Award-Winning Artist"!

 Enlightened was also selected for the show ...


No comments:

Post a Comment